 Subject: Re: Stus-List Galvanic isolator - Good idea?
 To: "C&C List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 Cc: "Don Wagner" <don.wag...@verizon.net>
 Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2015, 1:55 PM

 Josh

 To answer your question about “What are the shaft
 zincs protecting?”
 Assuming you are in saltwater such as the Chesapeake,
 Just a few things, including: the prop, the shaft, the
 rudder post, the
 keel bolts (especially if you have the C&C Smile), as
 well as any other of
 the usual underwater metals.
 You should protect these items as the can’t be easily
 inspected, but
 failure can be a real disaster.

 If you have a shaft isolator, you should install one
 or  more copper
 jumpers between the engine coupling and the prop shaft
 coupling.

 Also Galvanic isolators
 are suggested for
 situations where you suspect the AC system at the marina or
 nearby boats may be
 compromised.

 Note: Galvanic isolators
 are a simple circuit
 made up 2 big diodes wired in parallel but pointed in
 opposite directions. Since
 the diodes are not perfect they create about .6 volt DC
 barriers to prevent the
 corrosion currents  needed for electrolysis.

 A  big capacitor is also
 connected in
 parallel with the diodes to allow AC current at low levels
 and in case of diode
 failure. All three components are mounted on a large heat
 sink to keep the parts
 cool and insure a longer life.
 Don’t try building this
 yourself, unless you can
 design the proper size diodes and capacitors and heat sink the box

 Just my
 $.02

 Don Wagner
 C&C 41