From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> on behalf of Dennis C. via
CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 2:54 PM
To: CnClist
Cc: Dennis C.
Subject: Stus-List Boat tools

Time for a discussion on our favorite boat tools????  Aside from the usual
collection of wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and locking pliers, what do you
find indispensable for boat work?

Dave said:  "For cutting consider an oscillating tool like a Fein, with a
circular bimetal blade.   (where has this thing been all my life???)     This
is the boat repair guy's friend, second only to the angle grinder...."

Yep, a vibrating saw is a valuable tool.  I have the Dremel MultiMax corded
(the cordless ones don't have the oomph to get the job done).  Can't beat it
for making plunge cuts and flush cuts.  Also use it with a flexible caulk
removal blade for removing ports, hardware, etc. that is sealed with silicone,
polyurethane, polysulfide, etc.

However, my favorite all around go to tool is this:
<http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85035-35-MicroDriver-Set/dp/B0062FSAVI>
[http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rdclHrZPL._SX300_QL70_.jpg]<http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85035-35-MicroDriver-Set/dp/B0062FSAVI>

GearWrench 85035 35 Pc MicroDriver Set - Nut Drivers ...
35PC MICRODRIVER SET From the Manufacturer GearWrench 85035 35 piece
Microdriver Set includes MicroDrive GearWrench; square end 1/4 inch Adapter, 5
piece 6 point ...
Read
more...<http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85035-35-MicroDriver-Set/dp/B0062FSAVI>

For hose clamps, it's a 5/16" nut driver.  Can't imagine why anyone uses a
screwdriver on a hose clamp if they have a nut driver.

The other tool I use a lot is a 1/4 inch shank cone grinding stone for making
the chamfer on deck penetrations.

Every boat should have a cheap digital multi-meter on board.

The other electrical "thingie" for cruisers is a polarity tester.  Yeah, your
breaker panel has a little reverse polarity light but what if it's burned out?
Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-50542-3-Wire-Receptacle/dp/B002LZTKIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449604186&sr=8-1&keywords=polarity+tester

What's your "must have" tool?

Dennis C.