From: Ken Heaton via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:56
To: cnc-list
Cc: Ken Heaton
Subject: Re: Stus-List Lazy Jacks

Our experience with a stack pack is that it is painless except for these two
thing Mike mentioned:

"They often caught the batten pocket ends when hoisting the sail, were annoying
when taking the main halyard forward to headboard of sail from its normal spot
on end of boom (had to ensure not outside of any lazy jacks)"

For the first, we learned to keep the boat head into the wind when hoisting the
main and we didn't have trouble.

For the second, we got used to this and didn't think much about after a bit of
use.

Perhaps a difference with our lazy jack / stack pack setup is that the
lazyjacks can be pulled the mast easily and so tucked out of the way.  Also, if
we chose to do so, usually when we know the main is going to be up for a while,
our pack rolls up on either side of the boom and is held in place there with
quick release buckles so it virtually disappears.  We don't bother rolling it
up if we're just out for a short sail.

We really like it when short handed.  Often it us just the two of us (or at
least just the two of us who have experience sailing) on board.  When it is
windy and we are heading into an anchorage we can get the lazy jacks set up
ahead of time (just pull one rope on either side of the mast and cleat off) and
continue under the main until we want to drop it.  We then just turn the boat
head into the wind and open the rope clutch for the main halyard and let it
drop.  It takes care of itself.  We deal with tidying up up later, one
anchored, which is just a few pulls on the leach edge as necessary to
straighten and flatten the sail into pack and do up one zipper.

Ken H.

C&C 37 XL Salazar