Hi All,

Kind of a piggyback to Bob's thread. I had never really considered the CPN
700i prior to checking it out today. I'm waiting on pricing from a local
chandlery on a list of Raymarine stuff I'll need to buy in order to get an
ES75 working on my boat with my autopilot.

Maybe some of you can chime in on my decision here, Fred especially being
the expert and the local guys are really making me wait which is making me
shy away from giving them my money.

I want an ES series Raymarine plotter.
I have ST40 depth, ST40 speed each with their own thru-hull. The dept ducer
is a "thru the hull" type.
I have an autohelm ST4000 - with the LCD display

If going the raymarine route I'de like it to all work together and I'm told
I need a bunch of accessories to make that happen. That's the list and
pricing I'm waiting for now.

My question to you folks is:
should I just get the CPN700i because it's about half the price of the
Raymarine and a smart transducer to replace my existing speed with
speed/depth in one and get rid of the old thing taking up space in my
locker (depth ducer in mineral oil).

I'de get rid of the ST40 stuff, ebay. Not sure if the CPN700i can control
the autopilot but that's not a huge priority. It'd be nice but at this
point this season is getting pretty expensive what with the diesel heater
and new lifelines to boot.

The CPN700i is $800 CAD and comes with cmap charts (any good? never had a
plotter, don't know)
The Raymarine ES75 is like $1600 CAD and I would need a bunch of raymarine
gizmos to make it work with my depth/speed

Which smart transducer will work best with the SH? Fred, you mentioned
Furuno DT800 in Bob's thread. Airmar makes a DT800 that's NMEA 2000, will
that work and be less proprietary?

Seems to me that buying a plotter and a smart transducer is the easiest and
most cost effective solution. My concern is that the CPN is like 4 years
old now and the Raymarine is brand new.

Thanks,

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32