"I will admit that sometimes it does feel a little bit like I'm just a
small fry and that I'm wasting their time.  A little part of me gets it
though, lookie loos and shoppers take time and don't make money.  So, in a
way the guy that has already opened his wallet has paid to be top priority.
"

And I think this is the problem and why offshore companies are taking the
business. You don't know who will open their wallet. The best approach is
to show your good face to everyone that comes in the door. It's reasonable
for a customer to shop around for sails. If they aren't prepared to
entertain "looky loos" who are just trying to get the best value for their
hard earned money, then the business goes elsewhere. It's simple customer
service.

There's a generational gap here too. I find the older, established
businesses with sales people that have "been around a long time" are the
worst to deal with on a customer service level. The best companies I've
dealt with are the younger companies, with younger sales reps, that 'get
it'. Lastly, I'm a pretty young guy myself, I've probably got several more
sale purchases in my lifetime, guess who won't be getting the next call?
That's right, the local guys that didn't give me the time of day the first
time around. The smart sellers see a customer for life. The lazy ones see a
young guy "with no money".

See my challenges getting pricing on a chartplotter at a local store here.
Fred sent me most of the info and pricing I needed in about a matter of
hours. I initiated my discourse with the local brick and mortar place over
two weeks ago!!! And I went in there for new life lines and a chartplotter
with accessories. Maybe not the biggest purchase they'll see this year but
likely MY biggest purchase this year.

As a customer I'm fed up BECAUSE I WANT THE LOCAL SUPPORT. But the local
support has to beef up the "support" part of the deal and act like they
care about my business.

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto