Hi All,

Some of you may recall I reached out to the list for feedback on heaters. I
went with the Dickinson Newport Diesel fireplace. I have an Atomic 4 so
primary fuel is gasoline and the espar/webasto type heaters, at least as
far as their literature is concerned, should not be installed anywhere
there's a gasoline tank which ruled out the cockpit locker for an install
location and pretty well ruled out the diesel furnace style heaters
altogether.

Took delivery of the heater last week and drove the two hours to the boat
on Sunday. Right now I'm thinking, "what did I get myself into?". As I was
measuring the boat for the chimney and final install location of the heater
I had a bit of a panic: 5" hole!!!!

Please see pics of install location here:
https://goo.gl/photos/4GYL7SXqUZE3USRCA

Note the roll of tape is just a visual indicator, it's only 4" diameter so
the hole will be bigger. The heater will be installed along the edge of the
bulkhead where will it be close to the mast and mostly out of the way as
one has to squeeze past the mast to get into the dinette seat anyway. The
cushion pictured is from the aft seat of the dinette, I used it to
illustrate how the existing cushion back will be modified to accommodate a
lower heater install. The original cushion will be cut down, stainless
backing will be installed behind the heater and at the end of the day I'm
hoping for a pretty clean looking install, hopefully.

My question: is that a bad place for a 5" hole? There is a flat spot on the
coach roof a little aft and to starboard (winch mount location maybe) but
that would involve elbows and Dickinson recommends a straight run for the
chimney. Seems the biggest complaint with these heaters is problems related
to draft, so I want to minimize that as much as possible and keep the run
straight. The other problem with that location is that the access panel is
only half over that location so cutting the 5" hole partway through access
panel, partway through ceiling liner seems like a hack job. You can see in
one picture there's a bit of masking tape identifying the prefered location
on the top side.

So, bad idea?
What can I expect once I start drilling?
Any tips?!!!

Also a question about the chimney: to get the minimum 4' of chimney I will
need about 18" above deck. That's too much to sail with so I was hoping I
could connect the 18" chimney extension and cap when I need it (ie; at
anchor, at the dock, not planning on sailing with it running). Is that
doable? Dickinson makes a rain cap so that would be on most of the time. I
would use a thumbscrew or two and tap the chimney pieces so that it would
be a solid connection, but tool-less switch from one to the other.

Thoughts?

Many thanks.

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32