Here in the PNW, especially in the beautiful British Columbia waters around
Vancouver Island, stern tying to the shore is common.  I am glad nobody had a
cell phone camera the first few times I stern tied to the shore.  After some
practice and having the right length and type of line, the process become
smoother and less entertaining for those already anchored.

We once anchored (46lb CQR, 90’ chain, 250’ rode) with the bow in 90’ of water
and the stern in 18’ of water.  We stern tied to a huge rock on shore.  It was
essentially a process of letting out most of the chain and rode, backing in
towards shore until the anchor caught on the underwater cliff, then rowing the
stern line to shore.  It was a spectacular anchorage, 3,000’ snowcapped
mountains visible on either side, eagles nesting on the hill above us, and no
other boats within ½ mile.  However, I did not sleep well.  The weather was
very settled but the tide and current changes were a concern.  I would drink a
big glass of water, sleep for a few hours then get up to “check the anchor”.
For those of you in the PNW, this was in Pendrell Sound, north end of the
Desolation Sound area.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43