>...1 1/4 inch, t track mounted on the side of the boom...

Calypso's boom has a similar T track on each side of the boom.  I still tie the
reefing lines around the boom and have seen very little paint wear.

The tracks on Calypso's boom were installed long ago and may also act as
stiffeners as the mid boom main sheet attachments are near the tracks.

Best regards,

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43