Randy,

She looks beautiful!

I did the handrails on my Viking a few years ago. But there was no headliner and the interior handrails did not alight with the exterior. They were lagged through the coach roof though and the screw heads were very obvious.

I would suggest having a look at compass marine's web page about advice in plugging off the screw holes, re-drilling and countersinking the penetrations if it isn't already done. that is an awesome resource for a bunch of boat systems.

I used epiphanies varnish on the handrails and coated them 8 times all around. I think if I were to do it again I might epoxy them first but, the jury is still out as that epoxy kind of just peels up in prolonged UV exposure.

I also bedded them using the butyl tape recommended in the compass marine article and bought that from compass. In fact I followed the bedding instructions on the site as closely as I could.

Those rails did not leak for the 3 seasons I had her after the replacement and I stepped on the repeatedly.

I also replaced the forward hatch the same year, the same way and again no leaks. what really sold me on butyl is that the deck hull joint was sealed that way and nearly 40 years later it was still pliable!

Danny