Yes for upwind work, if your mast is relatively thin and light.

IMHO, no movement otherwise until you are running downwind when they get
disconnected and run to the shrouds--your shrouds should be fine for any
reaching without the checks.

I would keep backstay tensioned upwind (more in higher wind) and off when
running.

If I am not mistaken, these stays are referred to as either 'runners' or check
stays, since you have a separate backstay.

If not racing and your spreaders are not angled aft, you just need enough
backstay and runners upwind to keep the mast from pumping (moving fore and aft).

Also if your spreaders are not angled aft, you can dispense with the baby stay
entirely since its primary purpose is to help bend mast forward (to flatten
main sail for racing) and also to stop mast pumping in some choppy conditions.
I have removed my baby stay--giving up some main sail adjustments in favor of
keeping my headsail from tearing itself as it catches on the baby stay during
tacks. I think that its usefulness with non-angled spreaders is marginal at
best.

OTOH, if I was planning to go off shore, I would rig the baby stay again. For
my coastal racing and cruising, its too much of a PITA to bother with IMHO.

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
36 XL/kcb
Oriental, NC