YES

This is caused by slippage inside the transmission - a bronze cone mates
against an iron.... anti-cone ...I guess, and the surfaces become glazed
and slip.   bang bang bang  like a broken prop.

These are the exact symptoms I experienced and only after spending a great
deal of money on mounts (needed) a new prop, (needed) cutlass bearing
(needed) and shaft (probably not needed) did I figure out the real
problem.
Sick of shovelling cash around, and with the boat in the water, I  took the
gearbox out myself (2 hrs or less, in a 33-2) stripped it, lapped the
internal bronze cones against their mating surfaces, and reassembled.   Was
back in action in 24 hours at a cost of around $40.   Helps to have a
physique and arms like Gollum.

Good chance to clean some of the surfaces where cables ground to the engine.

do not delay fixing this, it will get progressively worse, occur more
frequently., then will really start to slam, and could be uncooperative
when you need it most.

Dave

Windstar, 33-2, Whitby ON.

Message: 5