I'm no engineer.  Just a guess.

The older models were not designed with vertical running rigging loads at
the center of the cabin roof. There were  horizontal loads leading from
inside the mast to winches at the base of the mast

Later models had halyard, reefing, etc blocks attached to the cabin
top that lead aft to the cockpit.  These loads are vertical.

In my untrained brain I always assumed that was the reason for the tangs on
my 30 MKII and the lack of tangs on my 30 MKI

But again, I'm no engineer

Rob Gallagher
Hanuman
30MKII