From: Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 09:42
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Hoyt, Mike
Subject: Stus-List flexofold vs Martec

On Persistence we currently have a Martec RH 16 DX 14P 2 blade elliptical
folding propeller that is approximately 10 years old on our Yanmar 3GM30F.  I
back in to my slip because when I am motoring in reverse I can stop very
quickly by putting in fwd.  If driving forward into a slip I cannot stop
quickly by putting into reverse.  My normal procedure is to approach our marina
at approx. 4 knots, then put in neutral for a bit and at 3 knots put in reverse
and increase RPMs to 2800.  During this time I turn bow away from marina for
approx. 30 seconds until the boat stops its forward momentum and then begins to
move in reverse.  After that it drives very nicely in reverse and I back all
the way in til I get to my slip and am stopped.

Suffice it to say there is very little bite when engaging reverse.

Has anyone here recently switched from Martec folding to Flexofold geared prop
who can offer any comments on the difference in reverse?  Is it significant and
therefore worthwhile paying the $1200 US price I have been quoted?

Thanks

Mike

Persistence

1987 Frers 33 #16