From: "Josh Muckley via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "C&C List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: "Josh Muckley" <muckl...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2016 8:20:33 AM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Starting Problem

I made a video that walks through the starting circuit on my yanmar. Its pretty
generic, maybe it will help.

https://youtu.be/Mp2cGDa1VOU

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD
On Jun 5, 2016 11:13 PM, "Dr. Mark Bodnar via CnC-List" < cnc-list@cnc-list.com
> wrote:

Stopped by the boat today planning to get prep'd for some work that need to get
done.

Figured I should kick the engine over just to make sure everything was running
smoothly. Unfortunately I got nothing (absolutely nothing) from turning the
key.

Batteries seem fine. Able to run radio - and no visible dip in power to the
radio when trying to turn over the engine.

I had a similar experience a year ago after running the diesel for a few hours
- wind came up and we sailed for a bit, but then couldn't re-start. That day I
easily found a loose wire (clearly it had shaken loose with the engine running
for a long period) off a clip on the starter solenoid (?).

That was my first check today - but it was attached. Pulled it off to clean
contact but no effect.

I figure there are 3 possibilities

1- ignition key failure - no signal to the starter to kick over

2- starter/solenoid failure - I doubt this as I'd expect some type of noise or
power dip indicating that something was seized

3- electrical connection failure - I can see a large wire leading to what I
presume is the solenoid, plus a couple of smaller wires connected as well.
Nothing obviously disconnected

I need to head back down to the boat with a voltage meter - try to figure out
what is going on and hopefully find an easy fix!

Any advice is appreciated. I presume is the key is working them I'd get a
voltage spike at the solenoid when the key is turned. If nothing then it
suggests either 1 or 3. Where should I see that?

I expect I'll pull the panel and check the contacts behind the ignition key -
maybe try hot-wiring it if I can figure out which wires are needed

Should I use automotive jumper cables to bypass the starter and try to spin the
starter/solenoid directly?

The engine is a Volvo 2002 18HP

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Mark

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
- George Santayana

greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!