Hi Andrew,

I have a similar looking issue on my 1978 C&C 34, Also have very slight
dimples in the hull at the same places.  I've never sensed movement, and
thought not as much as yours, I can see that my bulkheads are not set in as
deep as they may have been at the build.
Aft sides of the bulkheads are tabbed in and I see not signs of movement
there.
Heavy back-stay, and the odd big wave also make the boat creak and/or
groan, but so far I have not felt there was a danger.  My Chain-plates are
dry and solid.  There are a coule of spots on the deck that need attention,
but neither are much bigger than a dinner plate.
Interested to see comments from others as well.  My survey a few years ago
found nothing to fear in the hull or deck.

Chuck B
C&C 34 Elusive,
Somerset, MA

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Andrew Means via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hey all -
>
> Last week while S.V. Safari was bashing upwind offshore en route to Tofino
> BC I noticed that the forward bulkheads were creaking. Upon closer
> inspection I realized that they had separated entirely from the cabin top
> by moving inboard about 1.5cm.
>
> Here’s the port bulkhead: http://imgur.com/Meqa58I
> And here’s the starboard: http://imgur.com/MIZHoiG
>
> The ends of both bulkheads are prevented from moving farther inward by the
> termination of the slots in the fiberglass ceiling that they’re nested in.
> You can see in the photos that they were at one point glued in.
>
> The bottoms of the bulkheads seem to be very well fiberglassed in to the
> hull, and there’s no sign of breakage along the lower parts. The bulkheads
> that form the forward walls of the hanging locker and bathroom are also
> separated too, by what looks like the same amount.
>
> Looking at previous photos it looks like they’ve been like this since
> before we bought the boat. They’re not loose at all, they seem very well
> set in place.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is this a common problem?
> 2. How in the world would we fix this?
> 3. How critical is it to fix this immediately? Were we courting disaster
> to push the boat hard offshore?
>

> --
> Andrew Means
> S.V. Safari - 1977 C&C 34 Mk I
> Seattle, WA

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!