It seems this is the year for the shaft to remove itself from the coupler. I
race on Wednesday nights on the Bohemia River and 4 weeks ago I had decided to
go out early and warm up a little. I had to return to the fuel dock to pick up
one crew member. I was adjacent of the pier and he hopped aboard, I slid the
gear shift lever down, this puts the trans in forward, and nothing. We were
slowly moving forward to the rock pile jetty at the end of the fuel dock and I
start shouting for the crew to raise the main and get our butts away from the
rocks. The wind was blowing abeam and it was impossible to raise the main, one
crew member quickly unfurls about 10' of the genoa and we develop enough
forward motion to provide me steerage. We barely missed ending up on the rocks.
I had the marina haul the boat and they replaced the coupler and many boat
dollars later, I am back sailing.
Tom VincentFrolic II, C&C 36'cbChesapeake City, MD

greatly appreciated!