I completely agree with Mark's comments about chain--the big advantage is chafe
protection in areas where there is coral and not the shock absorbing of the
catenary effect.  Actually, you need a snubber made from nylon rope to get any
significant shock absorbing benefit.

I have one rode with all chain and I made a snubber for this rode.  My
secondary anchor has 40 feet of chain and the remainder is rope.  Both anchors
are 44-lb.  This anchor system is setup for the Bahamas.

I just added a windlass for my primary anchor with all chain rode.  If I
thought I could get by with a 33-lb anchor I would not have added the windlass.
 On the Chesapeake Bay I used a 33-lb anchor with 10 feet of chain for over 20
years but the holding is generally very good.

Bob

Bob Boyer
S/V Rainy Days (1983 C&C Landfall 38 - Hull #230)
Blog: dainyrays.blogspot.com
Email: dainyr...@icloud.com
Annapolis, MD (presently in Baltimore)

greatly appreciated!