38ST's? Those must be huge.

I replaced the old Merriman 33 primaries on Imzadi with Barient 32s
(equivalent to Anderson/Lewmar/Harken 58 or 56), and I'm in the process of
upgrading to 32ST's to make single handing easier.

But even with these big winches cranking in the 155 was a chore. The 135
headsail I now use is easier, but I can't imagine that I would want anything
smaller unless I was limiting the size of the headsail to 100 or 110 and not
going out in winds of 20 apparent or more.

I've tried using the Barient 28 secondaries (equivalent to Harken 52s) to
trim the headsail a few times. The bigger winched are noticeably easier.

Harken recommends a formula based on sail area to calculate the target power
ratio of new winches. Based on a 400 sq. ft. headsail (100% on our boats)
and a pull of 35 pounds on the winch handle, Harken 68's are the right size
for our boats. My 135 is 562 sq. ft., which means the load on the end of the
winch handle can be as high as 60 pounds with my current winches. I'd
definitely stick with the big winches.

So why are you replacing your big winches? Are they worn out beyond
redemption?

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1