John,
If your only charging is from the motor/alternator you would never be able to
fully charge your batteries  (unless you motor a lot - like several hours at a
time).
You can easily extend the life of the batteries and have them fully charged
(I.e. have more usable capacity) if you install some solar panels.  A low-cost
solution  (not a cheap one) should not cost you more than  $150. A Genasun
controller (around  $65) and a 50 W (even a 25 W) panel  ($50 - $150, depending
on size, quality, type, model etc.).
We don't have shore power at our Club, so it is more or less like on a mooring.
I use a 24 W flex panel (installed on the Bimini) and it provides about 1 A max
current and about 5-8 Ah a day. Even if I sail twice a week  (I wish I could do
that often), this provides more than enough charging capacity for my needs.
If you stay overnight, you need more battery capacity anyway.
Just my 2 cents.
Marek

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network.<div>
--------</div><div>From: John and Maryann Read via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> </div><div>Date: 9/5/16  14:34  (GMT-05:00)
<johnpr...@comcast.net> </div><div>Subject: Re: Stus-List Marine Batteries
Hi Kevin

Welcome to the group and know you will enjoy your 34.  What is your hull
number?  We are second owners of ours and owned her for 17 seasons.  Race and
cruise.

We run 2 group 27 deep cell batteries.  Use an off-1-both-2 switch make before
breaking.  Standard Yanmar 3GM with 35 amp alternator which is only charger.
Stay on a mooring.  Alternate batteries based on even or odd day of the month.
System works just fine

Battery is from local chandlery / generic brand made in CT.  Last about 5 years
then will fail to hold a charge.  Volt meter tells the story in a hurry.  $150
cheap enough to replace

Feel free to contact me with any questions

John and Maryann

Legacy III

1982 C&C 34  Hull 464

Noank, CT