I had a similar experience on my old 3QM30.   Removing the head is not
difficult and there isn’t much interference on the engine.  On my C&C 36 the
difficulty was the lack of space to lift the head.   To remove it I had to
remove the head studs from the block and then slide it forward.   I went the
cheap route and just replaced the head gasket.   A year later I updated the
engine with a new YANMAR.    I’d get an estimate for both removal and the
service work on the head and the injectors.    If you save much then remove the
head yourself and deliver it to a machine shop to rework the valves and
injectors.    Lastly my 3QM30 was raw water cooled and many of the water
passages were clogged.  I was able to rod them out without removing the engine.

Feel free to contact me off list if you have any questions.

Mike
VIRGINIA LEE 93295
C&C 36 CB
Virginia Beach, VA

> On Sep 8, 2016, at 8:00 PM, Harry Hallgring via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> DR,
> Check out simplemachine.com <http://simplemachine.com/> in Providence.
>
> Harry
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Sep 8, 2016, at 2:40 PM, David via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com
> <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>> wrote:
>
>> So...we are leaving harbor  to make our way down to Mystic for the
>> Rendezvous.   As I usually do I turn around and check the exhaust for water
>> and color.
>>
>> Today the color as darkish grey and it looked like oil was coming out as
>> well.
>>
>> I do an immediate 180 and go back to the mooring.
>>
>> Mechanic is out within the hour and confirms my suspicions. Head gasket.  To
>> do the job right (injectors, planing head etc) he estimates $2,500 to
>> $3,000.  I think the price is fair but I wonder if I could do it myself.
>> Anyone have any experiences around this?   I am a fair mechanic, but I don't
>> want to be penny-wise of pound foolish and I have never done anything like
>> this before.
>>
>> Thanks in advance...
>>

>> David F. Risch
>> 1981 40-2
>> (401) 419-4650 (cell)
>>
>> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
>> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
>> are greatly appreciated!
>
> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!