Dave,

Thanks for the info. I have my new Raymarine EV-100 autopilot sitting in a box at home waiting to be installed - I too got the email indicating there was a wonderful software upgrade, with better course management etc etc etc. I looked into the info far enough to see that I didn't have the right gear to use the update and gave up.

In my case the boat only has speed and depth (from the 80's) -- I figured that Raymarine is the most likely ecosystem as I add future gear - so the Raymarine auto pilot made sense.

I agree with the frustration of proprietary systems - but it seems we don't learn these issues until we've already paid to play. One thing I've learned from other listers here is that I'm better off with one manufacturer rather than trying to mate together systems.

Mark

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana

On 2016-09-20 11:44 PM, Dave via CnC-List wrote:
Graham/all - to be clear, to me the issue is not so much being able to update
one Manufacturer's firmware from another's device, it's about not being able to
update it at all, without a MFD  (hence the 'accessories to MFD subject line').
 Raymarine could easily have elected to permit updates by some other means at
the network level or at the device, but didn't.

Read the manual before buying?  Just dug them out and here's  what it says in
my pristine p70 autopilot controller manual:

'- software revision
Raymarine regularly updates product software to add new features and improve
existing functionality.  This document covers lighthouse version 3.xx which
should be used in conjunction with ev... Blah blah
Check the raymarine website to ensure you have the latest software and user
manuals.'

That's all it says, and I'm a bit surprised.      They address that software
updates  are part of ownership, and (rightly) offer and encourage the happy new
autopilot purchaser to update their software, even helpfully directing them to
the website.    (Sounds great, here's my money!). One minor detail seems to
have been omitted...

It been an interesting topic to explore, with interesting perspectives.   I'll
figure out a way to sort it.   I like the raymarine instruments and their
people were accessible and courteous.  The more I dig into it though, the more
convinced I am that their approach to this is unethical, irrespective of how
one might feel about their broader strategy.   (The manual ices it.). Anyway,
now we know, as will others who read the discussion.

I didn't hate them, but I'm starting to.

Mic drop... ;-)

Dave

Message: 3