Graham/all - to be clear, to me the issue is not so much being able to update
one Manufacturer's firmware from another's device, it's about not being able to
update it at all, without a MFD  (hence the 'accessories to MFD subject line').
 Raymarine could easily have elected to permit updates by some other means at
the network level or at the device, but didn't.

Read the manual before buying?  Just dug them out and here's  what it says in
my pristine p70 autopilot controller manual:

'- software revision
Raymarine regularly updates product software to add new features and improve
existing functionality.  This document covers lighthouse version 3.xx which
should be used in conjunction with ev... Blah blah
Check the raymarine website to ensure you have the latest software and user
manuals.'

That's all it says, and I'm a bit surprised.      They address that software
updates  are part of ownership, and (rightly) offer and encourage the happy new
autopilot purchaser to update their software, even helpfully directing them to
the website.    (Sounds great, here's my money!). One minor detail seems to
have been omitted...

It been an interesting topic to explore, with interesting perspectives.   I'll
figure out a way to sort it.   I like the raymarine instruments and their
people were accessible and courteous.  The more I dig into it though, the more
convinced I am that their approach to this is unethical, irrespective of how
one might feel about their broader strategy.   (The manual ices it.). Anyway,
now we know, as will others who read the discussion.

I didn't hate them, but I'm starting to.

Mic drop... ;-)

Dave

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 00:02:16 +0000
> From: G Collins <cnclistforw...@hotmail.com>
> To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> Subject: Re: Stus-List Raymarine exits the instrument, vhf and
>    autopilot business!

> You Ray haters kill me...   just kidding!  But sometimes it pays to read
> the manual before you buy, and they are all available online these days.
>
> That Garmin thing is a cool solution, I like it.  The Navico (B&G)
> version doesn't seem to be available anywhere, so that may have been a
> possible route to firmware updates but no longer...
>
> I guess my conclusion early on was to get a MDF that goes with the big
> electronics on the boat, so my a75 MDF can update my EV200 autopilot.
> And IMHO it makes sense to have the same brand of anyway, so that you
> are sure they will work together as best they can.  My wind/speed/depth
> system, since it is B&G, is essentially orphaned.  I'm not so concerned
> with that.  And I am quite happy with my Raymarine gear, whereas I've
> had two Triton displays malfunction on me in the same 3 seasons.
>
> As to why you can't update one companies gear from another companies
> MDF, I can't see any company signing up for that - say I update my B&G
> firmware over my Ray MDF, and next thing my Triton displays are bricks -
> who do I call to get it resolved? That would not be a fun day.
>
> Graham Collins
> Secret Plans
> C&C 35-III #11

greatly appreciated!