We do several pursuit races a year at my club.

Here is how we do it.

1) rank the entries in PHRF order. If a boat does not have a valid certificate
we get the rating for that class if boat from the local PHRF database.

2) Knowing the charted distance of the race, we calculate the number of minutes
/ seconds owed by all boats to the slowest in the fleet.

3) Add that time allowance to the race start time (the starting time for the
slowest boat) and give each boat its own start time  - GPS time - clearly those
with the same rating will start together.

4) Sometimes we use an official starting line, other times an honor system with
a bearing from a fixed government mark.

5) First boat to the finish line (usually "honor") is the winner.

If you want to add some fun to the race consider adding "engine" time. In our
most popular pursuit race, a distance of about 15 miles - two legs from one
harbor to another with a dog-leg - boats can use their engines for a maximum of
20 minutes (honor!). Some use it at the start, others reserve it for the end in
case the wind dies, others to counteract adverse tides.   The trophy is a large
stuffed soft toy "rat" that is required to be on display at the members house
from one race to the next!!  We call the race the "Rat Race!!"  It is passed
from winner to winner at a raft up at the destination!

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III

> On Oct 10, 2016, at 19:16, Kevin Driscoll via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Has anyone been organized and been Race Committee for a 'Pursuit Race'
> before? I am curious how you went about it.
>
> Obviously there is some calculation of start times in relation to each boat's
> rating. These are our contestants. I figure there will be three starts. 1 for
> the 'Level' racers, 1 for 'No Score' racers, and another for PHRF, i.e. the
> Pursuit racers. This is the first race in our winter series, which runs till
> March. We thought we might kick it off with a fun race format. Thanks for
> your input!
>
> Kevin
> 30-2
>
> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!