Randy,

If you don't KNOW what paint is on the topsides, then the best course is to
sand it all off.  You could try priming over the old paint but you may
encounter compatibility issues.

When I had Touche' painted, we did not know what the previous paint(s)
were.  Rumors around the marina were that it was Imron but nobody knew for
sure.

I prepped the topsides paint by washing with degreaser and sanding with 320
grit.  We sprayed a 3' x 3' test area with Awlcraft, the chosen paint.  In
that small area, the test spray beaded up on the old paint, reacted with
the old paint and generally did some other bad things.   The ONE thing it
didn't do was lay down smoothly as desired.  Oops!!

So, I sanded the old paint off.  I counted at least 2 previous coats.  It
took one day per side.  I used a Hutchins straight line sander similar to
this:

https://www.hutchinsmfg.com/View-Product.aspx?group_id=4346

The results were very good.  Touche', like many older boats, showed post
cure shrinkage.  That is, you could see the pattern of the underlying
roving on the hull.  The Hutchins sander removed the pattern leaving a
smooth hull.  This is important when spraying a shiny top coat.  Repairing
all the blemishes and having a smooth hull prior to painting is critical.
It took three coats of high build primer with sanding between coats to
obtain a suitably smooth hull.  The sanding was followed with a top coat of
Awlcraft.  I get compliments on the paint 5 years later.

Spraying paint isn't incredibly difficult but it does take patience and
technique.  The right combination of air pressure and liquid/air mix takes
a bit of work to achieve.  Finally, the application technique requires
skill to maintain the correct distance as well as trigger on/off when
spraying.  A bit of practice can develop your skill.

Interlux Perfection is billed as a paint somewhat geared to the DIY
market.

BTW, years ago I picked up a Wavelength 24 in Fort Collins and brought it
back to Louisiana.  I picked it up from a marine repair/paint shop.  Very
nicely painted by the lady owner of the shop.  Can't remember any details.
She used Sterling enamel.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA