Hi Jeremy,

I haven't had any problems when there's no wind (knock on wood), but
crosswinds definitely make it a tough go. On my last sail of the season
this year, I came into my side of a double slip single handed with a strong
crosswind blowing me off.  Just missed my window for a safe step off
mid-ship and nearly took out the electrical box at the bow, but fortunately
just glanced it.  I understand your reluctance to try again, but as they
say, practice will make perfect.  I managed to pull myself back over with
my boat hook, so I recommend always keeping it handy when single handing.
No damage to any property, but my pride was pretty shot.

In my opinion, the key is to get the mid-ship cleat attached first because
it mitigates both bow and stern swing, and I've seen guys do it from the
midship with a boat hook without even stepping off. I believe you can also
turn the wheel/tiller hard steering toward the dock and put the boat in
very gentle forward, but I would try it with extra crew first.

Best Regards,

Gene
 "Hawk"
C&C 29-2