That’s a good suggestion, Joel. I’ve found a couple of Globalstar 1600 phones
in the $200 range and a place that offers a free Globalstar 1700 phone with an
annual subscription. I can also get a “free”  SPOT phone (which has data
service for downloading weather forecasts) with an annual or monthly service
contract ($780 per year either monthly payments or a 1 time fee.

I’ve also found a couple of Iridium phones in the $150-$250 range, and a 3
month Iridium plan is in the $250 price range.  But the reasonably priced
Iridium phones don’t appear to do data downloads.

I’ve also marked an Iridium GO, which is a mobile Wi-Fi hot spot using the
satellite network. You then use your smart phone for calls, text, and email,
and get weather information and forecasts on an IPad or laptop. The downside to
this being that you can’t take it in your ditch bag for use from the life raft
if the unthinkable happens.

Fred Street mentioned that the Globalstar network has gotten some bad reviews
about connection and dropped call issues, and suggested Iridium or Imarsat
might be better alternatives.

So that brings up 2 questions:

What has been your experience with the performance of the Globalstar network?

How much do you use the phone to obtain weather forecasts like GRIB files or
NOAA Offshore forecasts? If you don’t use the phone, how do you get the
information; and if you do, how?

Thanks for the input.

Rick