Hi Russ-   I found a diagram that Rich posted a while ago buried in my files
and it is helping me to sort this out.   I was thinking this jumper had to do
with starting, but the power for the starter is coming from the battery so that
made no sense.  So I think that this jumper is about efficient charging and you
are just using the terminal on the starter as a junction to get power from the
alternator to the battery more directly.  If that is right, then if I put in a
Balmar charge controller, then I presume this problem will go away and there is
no need for the jumper?  Dave

Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT