Siting here watching lots of snow come down makes my thoughts turn to boat
maintenance and I have been reading the very useful Mainecruising site.

First question- Engine panel, alternator wiring and charge control
I have a Universal diesel on my boat and the infamous trailer connectors
described here:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/universal_wiring_harness_upgrade&page=1
<http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/universal_wiring_harness_upgrade&page=1>. I
also have the panel pictured in this article with ammeter and tachometer.  I
have already replaced one of the trailer connectors (partially melted) by
directly splicing all the wires to their mates with butt connectors and will do
the other in the spring.   I have read the article a number of times now and am
reasonably sure I should also do the starter circuit upgrade as he recommends,
but some of the details are fuzzy to me.  I have a hard time understanding the
whole thing if I can’t look at a wiring diagram.   Has anyone created a wiring
diagram for the starter/alternator/switches/glow plugs/panel on these
Universals?

More specifically- his first recommendation is the quick and dirty fix: Simply
jump the alternator output to the starter post and disconnect the orange wire.
With this jumper the alternator output bypasses the 20+/- feet of teeny tiny
10GA wire and uses the large gauge starter wire to make its way back to the
battery switch and then to the battery banks.
I presume this eliminates the ammeter completely (no big loss in my book as I
never look at it).   I am fuzzy on the reason this is important since the
alternator does not drive the starter, so without a circuit diagram I am having
trouble seeing what this accomplishes.

Also- If I go for more than the quick and dirty- I think I have two options.
First would be running the alternator to the house bank and an ACR to the
starter battery.  Second would be a charge controller (Balmar 614) between the
alternator and the battery banks.  Am I right that it is one or the other?
What I read from the same site makes me think the charge controller is the much
better option since I have AGM batteries and he discusses extensively the
problems of Motorola alternators, temperature compensation and charge control
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/automotive_alternators_vs_deep_cycle_batteries

<http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/automotive_alternators_vs_deep_cycle_batteries>.

Also, If I add a glow plug solenoid as he discusses, is this the right solenoid
to use:
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1%7C2276108%7C2276149%7C2290057&id=2262949

<http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276108|2276149|2290057&id=2262949>

Second unrelated question:
In his section on winterizing water systems he says: Water heaters are always
drained and by-passed you do not run pink through them!

I have done this both ways, but I can’t see why it is so much better to bypass
and drain.  I found it a real PITA to bypass the water heater so have been
doing it the easy way of emptying the water tanks and then running propylene
glycol through until red comes out both hot and cold lines.  Maybe if I plumbed
it to make bypass easier, I might do it that way, but I can’t see why it
matters other than using more antifreeze.

Thanks- Dave

Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT