Bob,
Other listers seem generally happy with a roll-up and a 2HP, but let me give
you contrarian advice.
When I bought my C&C 34 about 7 years ago to sail on those same waters
(LIS/Vineyard/Block/Buzzards - based in Westport CT), I bought a Zodiac roll-up
and a 2HP Honda. Crew was me, my wife, and 2 kids then 10 &11. I found the
dinghy/outboard combination was too small and underpowered to take everyone,
especially in chop and if we happened to be in an exposed anchorage/mooring.
The flat bottom roll-up did not track well. So I would end up ferrying people
in a couple of runs.
After one season, I switched to a Defender RIB and a Tohatsu 6HP (bought these
at the Defender annual sale). Sold the roll-up and 2HP Honda. This was a major
improvement. Now no problems with wind/chop conditions, due to the rigid keel
and the stronger engine.
Two trade-offs:1) The RIB is heavier to tow (BTW - accept that in reality you
will end up towing the roll-up, rather than assembling/disassembling it every
day on a cruise).2) Heavier engine - I installed a crane on the rear rail. That
makes the job easy. Actually better than trying to man-handle the 2HP.
We're now based in Maine, with 2 teenagers, and I know for sure that the
smaller dinghy/outboard would not work for us.
Anyway, that's my experience.
Regards,
Damian
Damian Greene1982 C&C 34 GhostBass Harbor ME