Hi Mark,

I installed new ports via VHB tape and Dow 795 using Krylon Fusion to make a
bonding mask.   The link to my write up is below.  As already mentioned, the
mask provides a nice finished edge hiding the underlying tape and sealant.   I
don’t recall the source, but I have read that the Krylon Fusion acts like a
bonding primer for the Dow 795 promoting adhesion. (Dow actually sells a clear
RTV primer, see Dow PR-1200 )   There are reports from folks on sailing sites
who have tested the bonding with and without a Fusion mask, and they report no
loss of adhesion.  That stated, if you go with a Fusion mask, then one thin
coat is all that is need and likely better than a thicker coat.   But to be
honest, I think the greatest detriment to adhesion are your fingers.  Don’t
touch the bonding surface, be it Fusion paint or not.  And just before
inserting the port, give the surface mounted area one last wipe down with
isopropyl and let dry.

http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/search/label/NewPorts

-
Paul E.