Got new fixed ports in yesterday.

Went fairly smoothly - Paul, I used your advice to hinge the ports up on a few pieces of masking tape - worked perfectly.  The whole process was much easier than getting the old ports off and repairing the mess.

In retrospect I'd have the plexi cut professionally next time.  I was easy to cut with a variable speed jig saw - but not as straight as I'd like.  Maybe I should have made a template.  Plus finishing the edges was a pain. Not as smooth as I'd like - but stand back a few feet and they look fine.

I did spray the non-window portion of ports with Krylon Fusion black - did a nice job of blacking out the window.  That said when the sun was low and shinning right on the window I could see right through the plexi where it wasn't painted and see the blue epoxy repair and the rough finish (just a 1/2 inch around the window opening)

From the inside they look perfect - nice to be able to see out!!!!

Mark

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana
On 2017-04-25 2:18 PM, Dreuge via CnC-List wrote:
Hi Mark,

I installed new ports via VHB tape and Dow 795 using Krylon Fusion to make a bonding mask.   The link to my write up is below.  As already mentioned, the mask provides a nice finished edge hiding the underlying tape and sealant.   I don’t recall the source, but I have read that the Krylon Fusion acts like a bonding primer for the Dow 795 promoting adhesion. (Dow actually sells a clear RTV primer, see Dow PR-1200 )   There are reports from folks on sailing sites who have tested the bonding with and without a Fusion mask, and they report no loss of adhesion.  That stated, if you go with a Fusion mask, then one thin coat is all that is need and likely better than a thicker coat.   But to be honest, I think the greatest detriment to adhesion are your fingers.  Don’t touch the bonding surface, be it Fusion paint or not.  And just before inserting the port, give the surface mounted area one last wipe down with isopropyl and let dry.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose
Fort Walton, FL

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Dr. Mark Bodnar via CnC-List <