The bushing on the impeller doesn't fail.  There is a key in the impeller
bushing, that fits over a pin or set screw that keeps the impeller in
place.  It should only turn when the pulley turns.  Hold the impeller while
turning the pulley.  If it turns, the pin is missing.  Also check the
tension on the belt.  Have you run water through the strainer? Remove the
strainer, and open the through hull valve.  A lot of water should flow
through.  Is there something blocking the through hull from the outside?

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR