  From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com]On Behalf Of schiller
via CnC-List
  Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2017 7:33 AM
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Cc: schiller
  Subject: Stus-List Broke my boat

  We were dis masted yesterday just off shore from Muskegon, Michigan
yesterday.  The starboard chain plate bulkhead failed and the chain plate
pulled out through the deck.  The mast snapped at the spreaders and fell off to
the leeward side.

  We were in the starting stages of the Jolly Roger Shoreline race.  The
conditions changed from about 11-12 kts (true) to 14-15 kts when the chain
plate failed.  Waves were about 3 feet.  We had been on a beam reach doing
7.0-7.2 kts and hardened up to closehauled to see if we were going to be able
to point to the turning mark when it failed.  We had about twenty seconds
between hearing the pop and having the chain plate fly out of the deck with the
mast failed.  Luckily, all were in the cockpit at failure.  I was just starting
out to crash drop sails from the first pop and seeing the slack leeward shroud.
 The helmsman had just started turning into the wind.

  After about an hour, we were able to get the main off and stowed and get the
jib on deck with the mast lashed to the bow pulpit.  Took the boat back in to
Muskegon to Torresen Marine and left it in their haulout well until Monday when
they can start assessing it.

  It will come down to economics to see if the hull value will support a new
mast and structural repairs necessary.

  The starboard chain plate had leaked in the past and I had glassed in the
bulkhead and added a backing plate when I bought her (22 years ago) but the
wood in the area does not look good.

  I will keep the list updated with how things pan out.

  Neil Schiller
  1970 Redwing 35, Hull #7
  (C&C 35, Mark I)
  "Corsair"
  White Lake, Michigan
  (Now residing in Muskegon for the time being)