Some years ago I too had a problem involving a mast. We were in a collision
with a Hans Christian or similar boat with a bow sprit. The other boat's
bobstay rode up on our toe rail and her bow sprit punched our mast leaving a
dent. We were unable to find a replacement spar that was affordable and the
insurance company declared the boat a total loss. Almost all of the damage was
to the mast but the cost of the replacement was more than the insured value of
the hull. At the end of the day we became convinced that we could still sail
with the dent as long as we were staying in protected waters so we kept the
totaled boat, I filled the dent with aluminum filled epoxy, painted it and here
we are still sailing.
The moral of all this is to be sure to carry adequate insurance valuation on
your boat to cover a replacement mast plus some for additional expenses in case
you have some additional damage when you lose the rig. It's not that uncommon
an occurrence in these older boats.
Just my two cents,
Dave. Kaseler
1975 C&C 33