From: Michael Brown via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: 7/21/17  09:52  (GMT-05:00)
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Michael Brown <m...@tkg.ca>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Voltages

We have a number of UPSes in our customer base we support. I have recycled
at least 60 AGM batteries this year and sometimes play with them to see if they
are good or can be recovered.

Even fairly flat batteries may recover. If they can be charged back up, and I
use
a constant current power supply instead of a battery charger, I see how long the
charge takes. Having a 100 amp hour battery come to full charge after 10 hours
at 1 amp means it isn't chemically taking a charge.

After the battery has been charged, and that may take days, I put a light load
on
it to remove a small amount of AH, say 10%. The battery is left to sit for a
week
or so and then I measure the voltage. What I am looking for is one or more cells
that are self discharging. If the battery settles in at around 12+ volts there
is
hope, but if it shows 10 ( or 8 ) then a cell has gone.

I can put the batteries back into a Smart UPS and do a run down load test,
basically the UPS switches to battery and runs it down to some voltage,
switches back to AC and then sends me a report. That will tell me how much
capacity the battery has in it.

A lot of the time one battery out of the set has gone, some UPSes have
10 batteries in series, some up to 14 in parallel and series. If the UPS is
only 2 - 3 years old I may find only one completely bad battery, and maybe
three that recover. They are not new, may have 80%+ of original capacity
but can be reused in a less critical application.

So charge them up, let them sit and check for around 12 volts. If that is
good do a run down test ( the old 12v camper bulbs are great for this )
and see what capacity is left.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1

PS: I finished the Lake Ontario 300 last weekend ( and Monday ). Finish times
ranged from 45 to 61 hours, a result of the wind dying on Monday. Windburn
took first in division, first in fleet and line honours on the Scotch Bonnet
course.

These C&Cs keep going and going.

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 13:11:30 +0000

From: "Della Barba, Joe" <joe.della.ba...@ssa.gov>

It is not absolutely 100% the batteries are done for. 99% maybe, but sometimes
wet cells, especially traction batteries, can take a good equalizing charge and
come back to life with some capacity left.

My old extra car had a short that would run the battery stone cold dead. It
survived about 3 of these and still could be used as a start battery, but it
had almost no reserve.

Joe

Coquina