Well okay, maybe I should requalified this. I have to agree with Ron on the
thistle thing. I had a thistle once in a previous life, my brother and I and
two girls were out on it, got three miles out in the lake, got a puff - my
brother was driving, had the main cleated - long story short we went over,
spent 45 minutes thinking that the boat was going to sink. It never did, but it
was enough to freak him and this other girl out. Oddly enough, the boat had
come with a little bit of polyurethane foam strapped underneath the brace by
the Mast. But it was all rotting, and I had taken it out, and not replaced it
yet . Obviously big mistake.After that, I decided I wanted a boat that would
not flip over. So I got a Star. Then after the second year, got an accidental
jibe, couldn't get the running back quick enough, watched the masked curl
forward... After that, I decided I didn't want a boat with running backs. Got a
Soling. Wonderful boat. Easy, fun, fast.
Ken Read came to our club this spring and gave a wonderful talk. He kind of
lambasted our sailing school for having Optis  and flying juniors, 470's. . .
He said his daughter was in a sailing school, an Opti flipped over and sink
underneath her. Freaked her out so bad that she still doesn't sail to this day.
Obviously, he's very sad about that. I think he liked the Bics for the little
kids, and thought that we should actually be getting into foiling just so that
it would excite the older kids.
 My point was just that to actually learn to sail is best on a small boat.
Preferably one that you can flip back over and drain out. Then you can learn
how to sail a bigger boat and not get freaked out by things happening, as the
forces increase exponentially.  Doesn't take much of a bad experience to turn
somebody completely off of sailing.
Regards,
BillC&C 39 Erie