You have to remember that the modern filter funnels don't just allow water
to "drop out".  The filters actually have a hydrophobic coating (green on
mine) which prevents water from passing based on water's surface tension.
 2 different demonstrations can show this.

The first is where water is used to fill the funnel halfway up the filter -
no water exits.  Then diesel is added to the funnel - diesel flows freely
until fuel can be seen on the surface of the water.

The second is where perfectly measured equal portions (about a pint) of
water and diesel are mixed by shaking in a small container.  This mixture
is the added to the funnel and low and behold nothing but pure diesel fuel
exits the funnel, again leaving behind water with no detectable diesel in
the funnel.

It's actually a pretty cool demonstration which I've seen at the boat
shows.  You might be able to find a similar demo on YouTube.  Something
that the instructions mention is testing the filters from time to time by
pouring water in to ensure that it doesn't leak out.  The instructions also
suggest that you can do that "test" prior to each use and then leave that
water in while filling with diesel.  Once done adding diesel, you'll be
left with only water - that which you added plus any that was removed from
the fuel.

Since the filter has the hydrophobic coating you need to be careful not to
damage the coating while cleaning/drying the funnel.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD