Allrighty then – have an alternate perspective on plastic fuel tanks.  My
trusty Yanmar mechanic (years of experience and formerly on their advisory
group) indicates a plastic tank may create an issue of compliance to current
regulations on fire safety in an enclosed area with an attendant impact on a
survey if the boat is sold.  He recommends only a new metal tank that can
withstand a fire in the engine compartment without melting and spilling fuel.
The plastic tanks are good for more open applications and should be used in a
sailboat only if the tank area is separated / isolated from the engine area.
Further, the Moeller does not have a dedicated fuel return fitting which is
required for diesels so the only alternative is to “tee” into the vent line a
less than ideal solution.

On another note, on inspection to remove the tank on a 34 appears to be a
really tight fit around the engine and water heater.  Has any 34 owner actually
removed their tank and care to share any tidbits of advice??

Thoughts from the esteemed group??

John and Maryann

Legacy III

1982 C&C 34