      From: Michael Brown via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Michael Brown <m...@tkg.ca>
 Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 9:04 AM
 Subject: Re: Stus-List A4 Cutting Out

If you have the mechanical style fuel pump you may be able to use it for
troubleshooting.
The pump has a mechanical primer in the form of a wire bail that goes around
outside of
the body. Part way down here is a picture of the pump:

https://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410

There is a bail that holds the fuel cup on, and a second smaller one you can
see in the left
picture around the lower part of the pump.

If there is fuel available then after levering it out a couple of times it will
fill the carburetor
and tend to stay out. If you can prime the pump a dozen times then either there
is no fuel,
there is a problem with the lines or maybe the carb is getting flooded.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1

From: Randy Stafford <randy.staff...@comcast.net>

Update on this - went down to the boat today, pulled plugs, changed oil.  No
sign whatsoever of water in the engine.  Then on testing, she started right up,
ran smoothly at idle for several minutes, then shut down suddenly.  And
wouldn?t restart after a few short cranking attempts (with raw water intake
closed).  From that I was relieved that the starter and solenoid and starter
circuit were working, and the ignition circuits.

Per Occam?s Razor I removed and inspected the fuel petcock, as it?s been
troublesome this year (it became increasingly difficult to turn, then suddenly
easier to turn, hmmm?).  I believe it to be the culprit.  It was stuck in what
appeared to be a closed position, and turning its handle didn?t change that.  I
suspect it may have been just open enough to allow the fuel line to fill, given
enough time.  But once the engine consumed the fuel in the line, it wasn?t open
enough to keep supplying the engine.

I bought a new fuel shut-off valve from West Marine and will install it
tomorrow and report back.  As for my starter not working Sunday when I pushed
the button, I?ll let that remain a mystery unless it happens again.  Maybe I
didn?t have the ignition switch pulled out far enough when I pressed the button.

Cheers,
Randy