Hi Glen,

I don't recall this discussion happening yet.

So, are you looking at a change from wire to rod as performance increase or reliability aspect?

As for your question, rod will not be too strong for the chainplates. In designing rigs the terminations tend to be the stronger parts of the system.

Putting too large of wire or rod up "to make it stronger" will result in a less reliable system due to fatigue caused by relatively slack rigging, when tuned properly.

An anecdote, when I had the gang replaced on Sweet the rigger didn't have enough wire of the size I needed for the uppers. He offered to "upgrade me" one size larger at no extra charge. I declined and said we can do it next weekend with the "right" size. The larger uppers would have been too slack relative to diameter, at the proper tune and would have fatigued early due to vibration.

This discussion will get interesting if you're looking at rod as a performance increase.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1