The advantages of rod over wire are slightly smaller diameter than conventional
wire of the same strength (thus slightly less wind resistance) and probably a
small percentage less weight. I doubt that you would see a significant
performance improvement on a 35-1, but if you’re racing against other boats
with rod there might be a certain amount of equalizing the playing field.

The downsides would be cost and the difficulty of conversion. Rod is more
expensive, needs to be cut and headed to close tolerances, and needs special
end fittings for attachments at chain plates, mast, and spreader tips.

A few years ago, I rerigged my 38 and replaced the original, 30+ year old rod
with Dyform wire. The wire is a scosh larger in diameter than the original rod
(about 1/16th”) and actually a bit higher in break strength. The mast and
spreader connection are swaged ball fittings to match the original mast tangs,
and the connections at the chain plates are Norseman fittings for ease of
measurement/installation. And the cost of the rerig with Dyform wire was about
what I was quoted for the removal, shipping, and xray inspection of the old
wire that was recommended by Navtec.

Be sure you consider Dyform wire as an alternative.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC