Doug,

I “copied” Gary’s design and am happy with the results.  My rudder shaft did
not have a keyway (Gary’s had one) so I ended up having to drill a 3/8” hole
through a 3” stainless steel tube with ½” thick walls.  Edson makes an
appropriate tiller arm with a 3/8” hole pre-drilled.  I used a drill bushing to
start with a 1/8” pilot hole.  If you end up having to drill your shaft, let me
know.  I have a drill bushing

Regards,

Ron

Ron Ricci