" If you’re going to go that route, why not just tie a bowline?"

Because:

   1. This knot is more secure, it will not come undone, even if you want
   it to.  A bowline can shake out under certain circumstances when unloaded.
   2. This knot is slightly shorter in length so you get slightly more
   hoist on your halyard.
   3. This knot makes an abrupt stopper so will not, in fact cannot slip
   into the sheave and jam.
   4. This knot retains slightly more strength for the line, 80% for this
   vs. 60% for a bowline.

It is a very good knot for this purpose.  It's what we use on our spinnaker
halyards, sheets and guys.

Ken H.