I recently moved from Novamar (brokerage recommended by my broker) to Boat U.S.
 I have had excellent experience with Boat U.S. over the last 20 years, and
after Hurricane Irma got us concerned last year, I vowed to re-shop the
insurance this year and go with a more "known" market.  Boat U.S. was
previously covered through CNA, but now is Geico due to the ownership by Warren
Buffett.  However, if my memory serves me correctly, it is Boat U.S. who drives
the policy language and claims settlement procedures.  Not only that, I
consider the A.M. Best rating of the carrier, as I'm in the business.
In the end, Boat U.S. was less expensive than the quote from my expiring
carrier, and given the combination of the Best rating and my experience with
their claims staff, I stopped looking elsewhere.

By the way, I stopped by a couple insurance brokers' booths at the St. Pete
boat show, and gave them opportunities to quote.  They were not competitive.
All this being said, marine insurance, like many other types, is greatly
impacted by location, value of the boat, year of the boat, etc.  I know some
brokers that won't even consider quoting until the boat exceeds $10 Million in
value.  There are also lots of companies that don't want hurricane exposure,
stay away from Florida, etc.
So, no one solution will work for everyone.  Yet, knowing about all the
potential alternatives is a great thing, and kudos go to the list for that!

Kindest Regards,

Bruce Whitmore1994 C&C 37/40+, "Astralis"Madiera Beach, FL

bwhitm...@sbcglobal.net