Sometimes the OEM plans the hardware installation and embeds backing plates
or simply solid fiberglass of the appropriate thickness.  A backer is used
to prevent crushing the core and to support lateral loads.  Solid
fiberglass won't crush and a sufficiently large washer nut bolts at the
appropriate torque will maximize lateral support as long as the foundation
is solid and not flexing.  All questions which cannot be answered without
on site evaluation.

Consider using FRP board in 1/4" or 1/2" available from McMaster-Carr or
G10 board available from marine stores.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+