After I had Water Phantom awl-gripped professionally about 7 years ago, I had a
canvas maker build a 'boot' for the transom.

This is made of some kind of relatively tough vinyl, complete with graphics,
and is attached to the stern pulpit with
simple fasteners around the pulpit supports. It covers the stern completely
when she is at the dock, comes off/on relatively easily and
has kept the sun off the transom.

Its hard to know if or how much it has helped because I have no 'control' to
compare it with but it certainly
has kept the awlgrip shine on the stern at the same level as the hull, which
does not receive as much
direct sun.

YMMV,

Charlie Nelson