HI Christian

Had exactly same issue on our 34.  Tried several sealers but the only one that
worked is butyl.  Biggest issue is the large upward movement of the chain plate
in relation to the deck when rig is tightened and can only imagine what happens
when beating to windward and tacking.

I removed the chain plate to verify knee was sound – no wood rot.  All was
well.  Slightly expanded the deck holes so they were cone shaped.  Reinstalled
the plates.  Squeezed in butyl so completely filled void between deck and
plates, pushed in firmly by hand and ensured was slightly proud of deck.  Put
dabs of butyl around cover plate screws so whole assembly was sealed when plate
secured.  Butyl oozed out of all appropriate places.  Did this long time ago (
5+ years??) and no leaks so far.

John and Maryann

Legacy III

1982 C&C 34