Hi Tom,
     Sometimes, if there is a loose connection on the back of the breaker,
the extra resistance can make the breaker heat up.  Since most breakers on
a boat are thermal (I think), the extra heat will cause the breaker to trip
"early".  I suspect, a loose connection inside the breaker could have the
same effect.

Good luck,
Gary
S/V Kaylarah