Chris,
    I've never seen a prop shaft grounded like that!  I'm guessing it was
someones amateur attempt to solve a problem that was unsuccessful.  Is the
boat connected to shore power?  Often the problem is a difference in
potential between the ground wire coming from the dock and the water you're
sitting in.  Milivolts are all you need to cause a problem.  I would
install a ground isolator between the green wire coming from the dock and
your boats ground system if you use shore power.  I'm on shore power and my
zincs last all season.

Gary
S/V Kaylarah
'90 C&C 37+