Every boat is a bit different, but for a cruising you generally want to reef a
bit before a racer because you don’t have 8 fat guys on the rail. C&Cs in
general are big-jib small-main boats, so cruising you usually would not bother
with a first reef in the main. I don’t even have the first reef strung right
now, I only have the second one. I will restring the third one before I head
offshore again.
35 knots is not extreme for our boats except a few of the smaller models. I
would on my old 35 MK I have a 2nd reef main and working jib or genoa reefed
down to that size. 50 knots for me is a storm jib and maybe a triple reefed
main. The general idea for upwind work cruising is you reef enough to not have
the boat badly out of balance and not heeled past say 25 degrees. OTOH you
can’t reef down too much or you have no drive to get through the chop. With
furling genoas rolling the sail in is easy and reefing the main is hard, but
most of our boats will sail better usually with more jib and less main than
vice versa if you can.

Another thought is there are limits to furling sails. In no way is a storm-jib
sized piece of a slightly unrolled 140% genoa equivalent to an actual storm
jib. Besides for the shape being horrible, you have a big roll of sail adding a
lot of drag. If you know in advance it will be a heavy air day and you have the
inventory, better to unrig the big genoa and have a working job or storm jib.
Last thought – reefing the main lowers the center of effort, rolling in the jib
does not.

Joe Della Barba
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I